Thursday, December 4, 2008

How many blogs does the world need?

Extremely bored and avoiding work, I find myself- like most who avoid work- surfing Facebook. I arrive to the "info" section and discover that many of my friends have blogs.

Seems like everyone has a blog these days. The world is bloated with stories and videos already. It's a free country. The opportunity for everyone to express opinions is spectacular. But having to read through all of it isn't. It seems like more people are writing blogs then reading them.

It's become a hall of mirrors.
One person's idea may be exactly like another person's, but I'd rather read the more eloquent one. There are only so many insights to go around. Unfortunately, there is no cap for this new trend in literature. Back then only the good writers were published. Now with a push of a button I can tell the whole world what I think of a piece of pastry and say that Humpty Dumpty authored the blog.

Don't get me wrong. Some blogs are great.

As Kinsley states, "At its best, [blogging] combines the immediacy of talking with the reflectiveness of writing. But many readers may be reaching the point with blogs that I reached long ago- actively hoping there isn't anything interesting because then I'll have to take the time to read it."

I agree.